Wednesday, August 01, 2007

10 OK


In conjunction with Pharoahe Monch's latest album released around a month or two ago (could've done it then but this blog was still in sperm-ovum stage at that time), am'a trackback and upload my 10 favourite Organized Konfusion (OK) songs. I did a compilation for my sad lonely self some time last year but will trim it down to 10 tracks for the double R.

For those not in the know, OK is probably the best 90's underground hip hop duo. Comprising Pharoahe Monch himself, and partner Prince Poetry, this commercially ignored group was known for mixing groundbreaking cerebral lyricism with the effects of their ghetto surroundings.

With Pharoahe being one of my favourite emcees ever, OK is definitely a very important movement in the vibration of my eardrums. To me some of the man's craziest verses are in OK songs, and Prince Po' complements him very well. I've read some reviews of his new solo album saying Pharoahe Monch is adopting a new style of more singing, but he's been singing a lot ever since OK, mostly on the hooks, and even in some verses. And this is not just me saying, I've actually read him in an interview addressing this.

Personally, although I discovered solo Pharoahe before OK, I like him the most in his OK days. He was the Ronaldinho of rap (Still is though). He invented all types of flows and raps with every verse, line even. Beatwise, their shit is usually very minimalist and jazzy which is fine with me as it leaves massive room for the emcees to maneuver, and maneu fucking ver they will. So whatever.

>>>> My 10 Favourite Organized Konfusion Songs <<<<

Tracklist:
1. Stress
Menacing bassline, menacing instrumental, CRUSH! KILL! DESTROY! STRESS!. You can just picture Pharoahe and Po' on black thrones in the sky waving their hands like a mage conjuring spells as they explain to you what stress is to them.

2. Bring it On
Bring it on muthafucka bring it on!. Another bassline not to be fucked with before the drum begins. In this song you shall witness Pharoahe fucking the flow like it was a Jessica Alba. Give me the PH! give me the AR! give me the OA! give me the HE!

3. The Rough Side of Town
The sample tinkles higher and higher then swings lower again. Just like it, the emcees recite observational up and down street tales in the way street tales should be told.

4. Let's Organize
We're entering the party stage now, with Q-Tip adlibbing then taking over the hooks and good friend OC dropping a verse. You could skip this track but you wouldn't wanna miss an emcee spitting "tiger tiger uppercut" on a funky bassline would you?

5. 3-2-1
Anutha funky one. Can't keep the party out of hip hop cause that's what it's all about, and can't keep the off kilter funk outta Organized Konfusion cause that's what they started their careers with. Check it out! help me out! to ma peoples in pj clap yo' hands! to ma peoples in ampang clap yo' hands! to ma peoples in cheras clap yo' hands! 3 strikes! 2 tokes! 1 time for yo' mind!

6. Fudge Pudge
This is a fun track. Beat might seem a bit mellow but watch out for the playful verses. OC is in this too. YEAH YEAH YEAH!

7. Black Sunday
One of the best sung hook evva (by now you should realize they hooks are the shit). Lorrddd help me out nowww we gottaa get tu gevvvaaa we gotta orrrrganaaazzzz, nooo mattaaaa the weavaaaaa, it's a black sun dayyyyyyy. Each emcee with stories of life and living. About being who they are, and how it is while at the same time, tryna get the music out. Shit is hard, you know? You gotta be feelin' this dawg. I'm feelin' it. You know what it is, it is what is known.

8. Maintain
We gotta mainntainnnn! Anotha song about they lives, but more personal. And with H.E.R. all up in everybody doing her, most of it will definitely revolve around the music. We gotta mainntainnnn! keep ya head up! Watch out for how Pharoahe starts his verse, that's some nice sing-a-singy before he kicks into the rawer part, HAH! I love the "why are they watching me buy my juice? why must they clock me buy my juice, just give me my change and please put my change in my hand man would you listen to me if I didn't have a tan?" part, a simple outcry delivered in a very outstanding way, I sound so gay, anyway (which emcee/rapper wouldn't be gay for Pharoahe?), it goes into a brief expression of anger before he steps back into a nostalgic melody. Dayum.

9. Why
You just can't go wrong with jazzy basslines and horns (oh and watch out for the cool bassline transitions). Why you tryna play me though? out like a sucka!. "used to do my chores now you're acting like a whore". You know what this songs's all about. "gossiping with the next about the next, loved to cover her neck, for stress gave her a cat as a pet". You have to know by now. I love how Pharoahe and Po would always inject very personal references into the rhymes yet still maintain their chemistry and the mood of the song. Fuck it I just love how they flow about their lives and shit. You can ignore the lyrics cause the flows are just lovely but if you start paying attention you'll just .. argh love it.

10. Invetro
This is the only song in this compilation taken from the last album they did together. It's a conceptual song about you guess what. In the same vein as their "stray bullet" song (which I somehow didn't include but get it if you don't already have it suckas) but with a different scenario and subject matter altogether. They did these typa concepts before your favourite emcees, yo. And even though complex conceptual songs are usually very nerdy and boring and like whuteva bla bla bla (to me, at least), never the case with OK. Pariyapdaariyaaaaa, dududu yeah yeahhhhhh.

..

..

Is it too much to ask for a reunion?

2 comments:

WordsManifest said...

2. Bring it On
Bring it on muthafucka bring it on!. Another bassline not to be fucked with before the drum begins. In this song you shall witness Pharoahe fucking the flow like it was a Jessica Alba. Give me the PH! give me the AR! give me the OA! give me the HE!

nenenenenenenenenonononononononongengengenge

fuhfuhfuhfuhfuhFUCK THAT!

insane.

Me said...

Err to # 2.

Is it weird that I already know Let's Organize? I am so cool.