Monday, February 18, 2008

Johnson&Jonson - Powders&Oils (new shit)

Blu from last year's Blu & Exile fame is involved in this one with another producer instead, Mainframe. It took me quite some time to get used to this album but once I did it's pretty dope. It has a different feel compared to Blu's last one.

This might be merely a coincidence or just me but I thought while Exile had a slight early-J Dilla influence, Mainframe seems to have a slight Madlib influence. From the way he samples to the various samples he uses, to the live-sounding drums. The songs don't sound too similar with each other which could be why it took me quite a while to really dig it. The Exile joint was easier to digest as it was more hip hop and bass-heavy.

Blu is still Blu, he adapted to Mainframe really well, manouvering his flows combined with his lyricism which has transformed into a more not-so-personal rockin-the-beat one compared to the last release. For some reason sometimes he sounds like a marginally faster Common. Could be just me. Anyway, this is a really good record, give it a few listens and I'm pretty sure you'll like it.

Yes.

Also check out this video of one of the tracks 'bout it bout it' which actually has been out around late last year (first shit I heard of them). Playful video for a very catchy song.

No comments: