Wednesday, November 07, 2007

This is a long MEGA COMBO post - Marley Marl, Craig G, WRC, and some battle rapper music


Marley Marl. I hardly knew who he was back then although he influenced dam nearly every beat conductah walking the earth identified as my own influences. But never too late, some time ago, an interview with The Rza, a name was dropped, and I was schooled. He founded the legendary Juice Crew, and trust my flabby gut their spirit is still alive what with recent releases from himself (that hip hop lives shit with KRS), Masta Ace, and that upcoming Kool G Rap shit. And I just have to mention just now, me in my small ass cavey room watching what new jacks watch - WRC, and dropping my jaw when Craig fucking G was a guest in the Lookback Show, faacken 'ell (we'll get back to this later in this entry).

To noobs like yours truly only: what I have for you is this release which is the first compilation of his produced hits - In Control Vol. 1. Why? cause I know just like me most of yawll're prolly highly unfamiliar with his shit most especially the old ones. This is OG shit doggy, he pioneered that hard hitting sample flipping shit that we all love so frickking much, and with the arsenal of emcees he was working with - seriously? Kane? Biz Markie? Craig G? Tragedy Khadafi? Kool G Rap? Masta Ace? Heavy D? who else do you want, need, bitch?

But I know words won't convince much, especially with my feeble linguistic skills, so get on these two videos off the compilation. If you figadeel it, link is down there, proper.

Juice Crew - the symphony


Roxanne Shante - wack it


Marley Marl - In Control Vol. 1, geddit from Zshare or MegaUpload
  1. Marley Marl - Droppin' Science - Craig G. (5:00)
  2. Marley Marl - We Write The Songs (Feat. Heavy D.) - Biz Markie
  3. Marley Marl - The Rebel - Tragedy Khadafi
  4. Marley Marl - Keep Your Eye On The Prize - Masta Ace
  5. Marley Marl - The Symphony (Feat. Master Ace, Craig G., Kool G. Rap and Biz Markie
  6. Marley Marl - Live Motivator - Tragedy Khadafi
  7. Marley Marl - Duck Alert - Craig G.
  8. Marley Marl - Simon Says - Masta Ace
  9. Marley Marl - Freedom - MC Shan
  10. Marley Marl - Wack It - Roxanne Shante




Now, on to fucking CRAIG G being in WRC 2007's Lookback Show Week 7, when he was announced I was like "whaa? the real Craig G? dayum". And no I'm not an old schooler I'm a noob I got into hip hop very late but I constantly do muh homework (my teachers back in school wished they were teaching hip hop) and I know who he is, he's a fucking legend.

Before we get a little more into that a bitta background about some shit that has pissed me off about WRC's lookback shows - delusional arrogant cunt guest emcees. Yes, guilty parties included - Joe Buddens, Serious Jones, and Immortal Technique. Tech pissed me off the most as I had mad respect for him and his music, but he's delusional, he's no OG, he acted like he above erything. Piss off, mate. He keeps dismissing the battles he's supposed to review (which is very disrespectful since he was dismissing some dope emcees) and going "back in those days" "back in my days" bla bla acting like he the baddest when we all know he was not bad but awfully painful when it comes to riding beats in battles - AND he lost to fucking Postaboy in freestyle friday acting like he didn't just overtake the beat and smoked that bitch a dozen lamp-posts. Cunt.

This is where we get back to Craig G. The irony is, when Craig the OG the fucking legend the fucking dude who beat Supernatural was talking, he was totally respectful of the battles and battlers, modest with his opinions, and just simply on point. Despite this being a new battle scene and him having way more rep & experience than anyone including the cunt guests combined, he was very very cool. The only time he ever went on a flashback was when the host asked him a question about the difference between now and then, even so he was pretty cool about it, only noted that there's too much screaming nowadays (which I hate myself sometimes) when he's more into wit and humour, but acknowledged there's a lot of very good dudes. Unlike Tech who kept making me phuke last night's dinner which I didn't digest properly with his ooh-i'm-so-og-i'm-so-hard-and-shit back-in-those-days-we-battled-better stfu, you look like a member of Nu Heaven with your shaved 'stache. Ok calm down hqa, fuck I'll still respect these cats for their music, but in terms of character, fuck y'all.

I was also pretty shocked when Craig G was totally feeling Kid Twist, declaring dude as his favourite emcee of the day. If you don't know who Kid Twist is, he's who Weird AL was inspired by when "white and nerdy" was conjured + combined with the ability to deliver funny punchlines. Yeah he's nerdy, so fucking what, Tech woulda totally dismissed but who gives a fuck now when Craig gave props based on proper battling basics - wit and punchlines. Anotha detail was while Joe Buddens enthusiastically like a bimbo told Hom and Piff to quit when he was on, Craig instead was totally spotting Hom's dope delivery analyzing how it made the punches more effective thus confirming us Hommy Hom fans' belief all this while that his swagger is unfuckwittable. Okay Maybe Hom and Piff did have a bad day on Buddens' week he coulda at least been more respectable.

Well I guess this is a lesson that all us hip hoppaz old or new must take to heart, don't be a cunt. Oh yeah this is that lookback show with Craig G, the best so far IMHO:






Lastly, on to more noobily shit. Some battle rapper music that I been digging and wanting to plug recently.

First on the list is a flashback from last year, Mr. Swagga Hommy Hom himself who I name dropped earlier if you read that stupid emotional rant whaukhukgea, I don't know what beat he rhymed this on but the beat is banging and his flow & rhythm is just chun. The song is HALLWAY. I'm lucky I saved some of his songs from Myspace before our local connection got fucked up and we ova hear can't listen to Myspace music anymore.

Second is Nocando, Project Blowed rep a.k.a. Blowdian, no stranger to various battle circuits, Recent Scribble Jam winner and WRC 2007 participant, overall dope freestyler. Listening to him freestyle, fuck he would come up with lines incorporating complex rhyme schemes and concepts you couldn't come up with in writtens. And listening to him freestyle flow on a beat, you know unlike many other freestylers that he could come most deffily sick on wax.

So I have checked out a lot of his stuff, hits and misses depending on how dope the beat is. Two of muh favourites:

Nocando - deep sea divers
Beat is hypnotic. Nocando's spitting is sick, and very catchy hook.

Customer Service (his crew) feat. Okwerdz & Dirtbag Dan - no fly zone
Hype double time beat, dope double time flows, Okwerdz, another infamous battler who onced tag-teamed with Nocando for a comp came nice as well. Overall hype track.

Third and last for now on is an OZ duo named Forthwrite. One half of them is 360 who's competing in WRC 2007. The duo is funny as fuck on this track we are the best with the minimalistic stripped-down funky beat complementing them very well, and the chorus is infectious, contagious, groovitatious WE ARE THE BEST TWO FUCKHEADS YOU KNOW WE ARE THE BEST TWO FUCKHEADS, we're the best, we're the best. Also featuring Okweezy who I thought was quite annoying in this one.

Ya bwoy hqa signin' off for now, for sheezy ma meezy, indeezy, and chigeezies. Paice.

No comments: